Journey to the center of the Earth Chapter 5 : Lost in the tunnels

We put our rope through holes in the rocks on the
sides of the walls, th en climbed down. 1-lans went first,
then my uncle, then me. Every two hundred feet, we
found a flat rock to stop on . We pulled the rope down
from above us, tied it to a new rock, then started agai n.
We did this for almost ten ho urs. We travelled 2,000 feet
down .
Finally, Hans said something.
"Stop!"
It was only one word, but it was nice to finally hear his
VOICe .
"What happened?"
"\,Ve're at the bottom."
T he professor and 1 looked at hi m.
"Of what?"
"I don't know."
T here was a turn in the hole. There was an open area
like a cave at the bottom of the hole, whi ch co ntinued to
the ri ght. Our bags were there. After ten hours of
climbing clown , we were very tired . \1\fe decided to spend
the night there.
In the morning, we continued our j ourney clown .
T he hole now opened and looked more like a tunnel.
\'Ve did not need to climb because we could walk down
this tu nnel. vVe used our torch es, so we could see the rock
on the walls clearly. It looked like glass of different
colours. Some of it was red, some was brown, and some
was yellow. My uncle savv me looking at it.
"That's from the lava."
"It's beautiful."
"So, you're starting to enjoy olll-j ourney. There's more
to see. Come along."
\tVe walked for two more days and we fou nd other
tunnels. There were tunnels everywhere, but we did not
know which was the right one. Unluckil y, our water
fin ished .
"Now, what are we going to do?"
"We're going to find a spring. T here are many, but we
have to go down further."
I co uld not move. I was very tired and th irsty and
thinking of Grauben.
"Uncle, I can't go on."
"Axe!, please. We are going to find water."
"'"'ater!"
It was Hans' voice.
"What d id you say?"
"Water!"
There was a loud sound behind the v.rall next to us. It
sounded like the water of a river. Hans took a pickaxe and
made a hole in the wall. ' t\later came out onto the floor
around us.
"I told yo u, Axe!. Water! Owl It's hot. Don't touch it.
It needs air. We're too far underground."
The water was cold enough to drink after a few
minutes and we all fe lt strong again . We continued our
journey but I made a serious mistake. I was very excited
about finding the water and I went first. I walked too far
in front of the others and I got lost. I tried to go back, but
I could not find them .
I shouted their names.
"Uncle! Hans!"
I could only hear my own voice in the tunnel. 1 was
afraid. I ran. Then I fell. I fell through the air clown a
long tunnel. Then I hit my head and everything went
black around me.

No comments:

Συνολικές προβολές σελίδας

Popular Posts